MH-13483 Resolved introduces basic statistics visualization facilities into Opencast. In particular, a statistics provider implementation for InfluxDB 1.x time series is provided, i.e. Opencast can visualize InfluxDB time series data.
The Opencast InfluxDB Adapter is implemented as a standalone Java application that continuously parses the Apache log files HTTP access logs to gather data about the usage of assets (here: "Views" of video files) and feeds those info into InfluxDB.
The adapter optionally uses the External API to find out to which series a given event belongs so that view data can be aggregated on series level, too.
Currently implemented feature set:
- Both single- and multi-tenant support
- External API integration to retrieve additional metadata from Opencast (series)
- Dynamic time window analysis of HTTP accesses to heuristically determine "number of views" (access to the same resource within a given time window don't count as multiple views)
- Some filter options to ignore requests that should not be counted
- The adapter is implemented for a specific Apache log format. In theory, it could be generalised to support other log formats, web servers or even to a general line-based log analyzer. This is, however, not in the scope of this work.